Founder’s Day

Notre Dame Archives

The University of Notre Dame Archives is responsible for the collection, maintenance, and preservation of the official records of the University of Notre Dame as well as other records that document the life of the Catholic Church and her people as lived in the American context.

You may also like...

1 Response

  1. September 12, 2013

    […] Lay women were in charge of the education and care of the Minims until the Sisters of the Holy Cross took over in 1863.  During the 1860s-1870s, the number of students in the Minim Department generally hovered around thirty to forty students.  With growing numbers, St. Edward’s Hall became their home in 1882.  In 1883, the number of the Minim Department finally reached an enrollment of one hundred students and was the cause of much celebration at Notre Dame.  With no coincidence, the celebration was planned for November 24, the forty-first anniversary of the arrival of Rev. Edward Sorin, CSC, at Notre Dame.  Fr. Sorin looked fondly upon the boys and their accomplishments and enthusiasm.  He often spoiled them with special treats such as oranges and candy and they heartily honored Fr. Sorin on Founder’s Day. […]